THE ROYAL COMMISSION INTO INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSES TO CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse was an inquiry set up by the Australian Government in January 2013. The Commission was tasked with investigating where systems have failed to protect children and have made findings and recommendations on how to improve laws, policies and practices to prevent and better respond to child sexual assault in institutions.
The Commission’s final report was provided to the Governor General on 15 December 2017.
How can Bravehearts support you?
Our Royal Commission support services provide free counselling and case management support for survivors of child sexual assault and others impacted by the process of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. Our service is experienced in supporting survivors, and those impacted, through trauma to recovery.
- Face to face and telephone counselling for adult survivors;
- Counselling for those impacted by the Royal Commission;
- Assistance to gather records, for example; records about a person’s childhood while in state care;
- Referrals to private solicitors to assist people explore compensation or redress options;
- Provision of information about how the criminal justice system operates;
- Help with reporting child sexual assault to the police, information on what to expect and rights as a complainant;
- Attendance as a support person with clients when making their police statement;
- Provision of practical support (for example, assistance applying for housing or emergency relief, referrals to domestic violence or alcohol or other drugs services);
- Providing referrals to other services, where appropriate.
How to access our service
If you would like to speak with someone about getting counselling or accessing our case management service, contact our confidential SUPPORT SERVICE toll-free on 1800 272 831 during the hours of 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday AEST (Please note hours vary on public holidays.)
Counselling and Case Management services operate from Strathpine (North Brisbane), Spring Hill (Brisbane), Springwood (South Brisbane), Arundel (Gold Coast).
If you are not able to access either of these services, please enquire about our online services via 1800 272 831. Alternatively, we are able to provide telephone support or referral information for other services and counsellors. Our Telephone Crisis Support and Information Service is available Nationally via our free call number 1800 BRAVE 1 (1800 272 831).