Beyond Brave – National Redress Scheme service
Beyond Brave is Bravehearts’ National Redress Scheme service provider.
About the National Redress Scheme
The National Redress Scheme provides acknowledgment and support to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse. The Scheme is in response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, which estimated that 60,000 people experienced institutional child sexual abuse in Australia.
Under the Scheme, a person entitled to redress can receive:
- access to counselling
- a payment, and
- a direct personal response from the institution(s) (ie. an apology) for people who want one.
A person can accept any or all of the Redress components.
The Scheme started on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years. Applications must be submitted by 30 June 2027. Redress is an alternative to seeking other compensation options.
How can Bravehearts Beyond Brave help?
Beyond Brave is a National Redress Scheme service provider. We offer free and confidential support to anyone considering applying to the Scheme.
The support includes:
- helping you understand the Scheme and if you are eligible
- assisting you to complete the application form
- supporting you throughout the application process, as you wait for an outcome and after an offer is made, including accessing a direct personal response, counselling, and psychological care
- supporting you to connect to free legal and financial supports that can help you:
– explore your options regarding Redress or other compensation options and
– financial counselling to help you understand how you can best manage a Redress payment.
How to access Beyond Brave services
As a National Redress Scheme service provider, Bravehearts Beyond Brave offers face-to-face support within South East Queensland from service centres located in Arundel, Loganholme and Strathpine.
Outreach services are available to Townsville, Palm Island, Cairns and other areas in North Queensland. Telephone and outreach supports are also available for people who are in a Queensland gaol.
Online and telephone supports are available throughout Australia.
Beyond Brave understands that your culture and language are important to you. Your privacy and safety will always be respected.
Please contact Bravehearts’ Information and Support Line toll-free on 1800 272 831 to discuss your needs, Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm AEST or complete our online referral form below.
For more information about the National Redress Scheme, visit the National Redress website or call the National Redress Information Line on 1800 737 377.